Craigavon Borough Council secured £5,469,045 for the SPACE project which will refurbish Portadown Peoples Park and Tunnel Area from the Special European Programmes Body (SEUPB) Peace III Priority 2 Contributing to a Shared Society Theme 1 Creating Shared Public Services.
The SPACE Project has two main strands; the refurbishment of the Park and a community engagement programme. The refurbishment involves:
- The construction of an amphitheatre,
- New play areas
- Pavilion building
- Synthetic pitches
- Themed gardens
- Upgrade to the existing pitches.
- The Park will be enhanced through new planting.
- The tunnel area will also be improved as this location acts as a main arrival point for visitors arriving from the train station.
The community engagement programme involves:
- A peace building programme
- Responding to community need and sensitive issues,
- Delivery of an exciting events programme and
- Developing and implementing a creative & informative communication and publicity programme.
The Peace Builders Collaborative were appointed in May 2014 to deliver the Community Engagement Programme element of the SPACE Project. The Peace Builders Collaborative comprises of three organisations, each with an extensive track record of working with peace programmes, good relations, peace building and community engagement: BNL Productions (BNL), Venturei Network (Venturei) and Different Tracks Global (DTG).
Leading the consortium, BNL has an 8-year highly successful track record in the delivery of youth/community engagement, event management & communications programmes across 15 council areas in N. Ireland & the border counties. They are an Investors in People & Craigavon Business award winning company and their creative design and interactive multi-media work has won All Ireland awards. Previous to commencement of the SPACE project, BNL Productions had experience in delivering on over ten creative media projects, events and communications strategies promoting good relations specifically around the development of Portadown’s People’s Park including the CURBS programme with CIP, Unify Solutions, and Different Tracks Global.
Events within the SPACE Project